Thursday, February 9, 2012

30th Birthday Part II: Celebration



Woooo-weeee!
I think that about sums it up I think. That was the best birthday yet.

I'm not always very good at birthdays-- I don't enjoy things with to much built in expectations.
But this one, exceeded my expectations...by a mile.

Starting with the night before. 
Some super-stealth ladies (one may or may not have been completely claud in honest to goodness ninja gear) were busy adding some festive decor to the outside of my humble abode.

I was inside with our Relief Society presidency (who brought me flowers and cupcakes!) enjoying our meeting. Maybe a littel too much, cuz by the time we concluded and they left, they both got the dickens scarred out of em, walking past ninja women and sneaky crew.

Ben, who goes out on RS mtg nights, came home moments after the birthday fairies vanished into the night and promptly informed me I needed to go outside.

It wasn't til morning that I got a good look at their handy work, but I think it gave me very sweet birthday-eve dreams.













And the decoration (and subsequent honks) proved only the beginning of a fun-filled treat of a day.

Benny made me breakfast in bed and I happily blogged, while he got Aaron off to school.
I think the eggs looked like a heart:)

The best treat of the whole day??????
Blowdrying kids free!!!!!!!
My friends took McKye and Levi, while I got ready (such a total delight) and then a bunch of us mammas hung out all morning at my fav hang out home (Aaron only broke one bed..no I'm not kidding, luckily her handy hubby was able to fix it up, his bed jumping is provign more hazardous the bigger he gets.)


 When I ran home to grab Aaron, I was delighted by another dear friend, bearing birthday booster juice (and an invite to a Oscars party, I'm super excited for!!!) Ah remmeber when us Hostesses with the mostest shared a room? Man, Meg, we need to see each other more. SO glad you stopped by.

My wonderful soon-to-be sister-in-law made me one of her home ade ice cream cakes!
No wonder I set you up with my brother Becka?!?

And her sister-in-law, who is also wonderful, made these picture perfect cookies fro me too.

Afternoon, included some very thoughtful phone calls and voicemails.
And DID NOT INCLUDE
me washing one dish, folding one piece of clothing, or picking up a single toy.
It was grand.

When Ben got home we went to the restaurant fo my choice (second year in a row) for dinner.
And I must been enjoying it so much I forgot to take a picture!

Oh thank you internet.
Mmmmmmmm.

Then it was out with the ladies for dessert.
Oooo, and free hot chocolate.

One of THEE funnest, and FUNNIEST nights I've ever had.
It started with "introductions" cuz not everyone knew everybody.
And it quickly turned into us roaring over most embarrassing moments, bonding over heart breaking stories of motherhood, and just "full disclosure" in so many areas.
Sorry folks not details, I've been instructed that "what happens at Cheesecake stays at Cheesecake"









We really only made it around the table once with our in depth "intros" before it was time to ask for the checks, but by the end I think we all felt (at least I did) that incredible satisfaction that can only come from having an over full belly, a happy heart, and less stressed mind, from laughing so hard your checks starting to ache but being unable to wipe the smile from your face, cuz you're just so darn glad that this night happened. (Ah, fuzzy photo taken by the waitress, you may not be much of a keeper, but the memories you'll trigger sure are!)
Yup definitely a "keeper" of a birthday memory. 

And then I returned home to a clean house (which after my birthday idleness would hav been no small feat). Thanks Benny. 


Well to finish off this overabundance of birthday blogging... 
I thought a bunch of responses to my facebook status were pretty awesome. 

K I have a birthday request. I want 30 comments on "Why being 30+ rocks"
Ready set go!
 ·  ·  · 21 hours ago



    • Chelsea Bowen Bretzke I'll go first. You get to have a marvellous birthday full of kind, fun, giving friends, that make you think there's no way you could be so blessed! THANKS EVERYONE. Seriously you out did yourselves.
      20 hours ago ·  ·  2

    • Jennifer Hicks Durant I liked saying, "29+1" :) Being 30 is still touching your 20's, so it's "grown up" but you can still be cool :P Woohoo 30!!
      20 hours ago ·  ·  2

    • Rachel Smith When you're 37 you can say "I'm thirty-seven! I'm not old" in an accent and pretend to be talking to king arthur (Monty Pyrhon and the holy grail joke)
      20 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Carmen Gourlie I LOVED turning 30. You start getting signs of smile/laugh lines throughout the years. I seriously didn't mind turning the big 3-0!!
      20 hours ago ·  ·  2

    • Kareena Zanolli As someone who is now well into her thirties, I'll let you in on a few things. It's not as bad as you think! Not only do you get older and wiser, but also more calmer and accepting. And I truly believe you become more beautiful, inside and out! Every wrinkle, grey hair, and stretch mark tell a story and hold memories that I would never trade in exchange for youth! Love every minute of your 30s, and for that matter your 40s,50s,60s... Happy Birthday!
      20 hours ago ·  ·  3

    • Crystal JD Haitsma I'd say mostly because your 30, that's why it rocks...and you rock, so it rocks...that's it. the end.
      20 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Chelsea Bowen Bretzke clarification: My request did not come out a desperate plea to help me "cope", I'm totally good turning 30, feel like a bit of a milestone, so I thought I'd soak up sum wisdom...and look I already got some beautiful thoughts on it. thanks guys. keep 'em coming.
      20 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Julie Gilson · Friends with Tanya White and 14 others
      Best part is not being lumped in with the "inexperienced 20's". I love being in the 30 range. I'm starting to feel like I have a handle on life! You realize how little you knew at 20! :) Happy Birthday Chelsea!
      20 hours ago ·  ·  2

    • Andrew Leong im in my 30's too and i rock so 30's must rock!!!!
      20 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Sherry Cosens Oursien Cause its so young!!!!!!Love you Chelsea...Have a great birthday!!!
      20 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Desi Cosman because it was going to happen anyway, so you might as well rock it!
      19 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Desirée Paterson I'm always a fan of the line... "thirty, flirty, and thriving" from 13 going on 30
      19 hours ago ·  ·  2

    • Jennifer Schindler Yanos You are absolutely no longer a child. You have earned adulthood!
      19 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Melissa Murray Atwood I think I'm having way more fun in my 30's... I feel like I've learned a few life lessons, but I still know how to have fun and be 'young'... at least I pretend to be young still, so the 20's crowd will still be my friend.... haha! Happy Birthday!
      18 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Rebecca Nelson Moss Oprah says it's better than your twenties so it must be true. :)
      17 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Mike Innes Because you are always in good company with friends
      17 hours ago · 

    • Rachel Wolff Because my favorite number is three!
      16 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Kelley Stewart Gregson The "0" birthdays are always the best and the most memorable.
      16 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Anouschka Van because there are no wrinkles at age 30 loL!
      16 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Jennifer Layton Meyer I like being 30 cause then when my mom gets after me for being late to church I can just tell her "I'm 30 now and can be late if I want too." it's way more powerful than 29 :)
      16 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Andrew Leong and you share the same birthday as james dean and that rocks too!!!!
      15 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Theresa Ferguson ‎"Time and tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty." - Robert Frost
      14 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • TerriJo Kellock Being in your 30's is the best because...
      These are the few short years where you have youth and wisdom, confidence and attitude, adventure and stability! It is a decade of "old enough to go for it" while remaining "young enough to recover".

      14 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Anouschka Van well put!
      14 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • TerriJo Kellock Enjoy your 30's and remember...what happens at the cheesecake stays at the cheesecake! Happy Birthday beautiful!
      14 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Stefanie Panhuyzen Hasselbach ‎30 is the new 20! Happy birthday!!!
      12 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Nadia Joan Larsen I heard somewhere that at 30, you are old enough to know what you want and still young enough to do it!
      11 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Nadia Joan Larsen Happy birthday!
      11 hours ago · 

    • Maureen Luckwell It's no different than being 29 or 28. You are wise, have so much experience to draw from, but really don't feel like it's a bad thing to be 30. It's only a number. I highly doubt that you feel 30 inside. that's what matters, how you feel, who cares what anyone else( the world) would have you feel about turning 30.
      4 hours ago ·  ·  1

    • Kristine Ackerman Jensen because it is way younger than being 50+!!!
      2 hours ago ·  ·  1


Thanks everyone. It was a great birthday. 
Let's do it again sometime. 
Like in a year maybe.

Levi let me know it was all back to life as usually this morning, 
by dropping my bra in the toilet.

1 comments:

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips

To surprise or not to surprise? It's always fun to try to surprise the birthday girl or boy, but it's not always feasible. If keeping the 30th birthday party a surprise turns out to be too challenging, there's nothing wrong with telling the guest of honor about it. If you do decide that it will be a surprise party, be sure to indicate that on the invitation! Imagine how guilty you'd feel if you were the one to accidentally spoil the surprise!...... Birthday Party Decorations UK